Useful information

Please browse the headings below to find useful information on health-related topics and links to further resources. This page will be developed on an ongoing basis.

Click the arrow next to each heading to reveal more detail.

Well Aware

Well Aware are a signposting and information service for health and wellbeing organisations and events across Bristol, South Gloucestershire, Bath & North East Somerset. They can provide a wealth of information on local activities, groups and events from hobbies to healthcare – anything that might improve your health and wellbeing!

You can contact them for help and advice by calling 0808 8085252.

You can search their broad database by visiting their website:

Do you look after someone?

Do you help and support a partner, relative, child or friend who could not manage without your help due to physical or mental illness, disability, frailty or addiction?
If so you may be a carer

  • Anyone can become a carer at any age, children, parents, daughters, sons, spouses, partners; caring sometimes just happens to you;
  • Many people don’t think of themselves as carers;
  • You may be a carer whether or not you live in the same house as the person you care for or even if that person lives in a residential or nursing home.

People paid to care like care workers are not included in this definition of carers.

If you are a carer, please consider the following actions to help maintain your health and wellbeing.

1. Look after your own Health – Tell your GP you are a Carer!
It’s important to look after your own health so that you can go on caring for as long as you want to. It is easy not to look after your own health when you are looking after someone else.

  • We would like to help you to stay as fit and healthy as possible.
  • We offer most carers a free flu vaccination each Autumn
  • We keep a register of carers who are our patients so that we can provide you with information about organisations that may be able to help

You can register yourself as a carer with the practice by completing and returning this form to reception. You can also ask at reception for help with registering yourself as a carer with the practice or discuss it with your doctor / nurse.

We also have a Carer's Information Pack available from our reception, or you can download the contents here:
Carer Information Prescription
Carers’ Assessments from Bristol City Council
Carers’ Simple Assessments from the Carers Support Centre
Referral Form for Carers Support Centre
Useful Information and Resources
Carers Support Centre
Emergency Card Scheme
Carers Holidays from the Carers Support Centre

2. Carry the Carers Emergency Card:
The Carers Emergency Card is a free service that can provide up to 72 hours of emergency support to the person cared for in the event of their carer having an accident or emergency.

Carers carry a card which shows their name and a unique identification number. If they have an accident or are taken seriously ill, anyone who finds them can call the emergency phone number on the front of the card. The emergency response team will then react to ensure the person cared for continues to receive the care they need.

The only information held on the card is an emergency telephone number and your Carer PIN Number; it carries no other personal information about you or the person you care for. If the person you care for pays Council Tax in Bristol call Care Direct to order your card on: 0117 922 2700 or email:

3. Tell Social Services you are a Carer
You may also need practical support to care, someone to sit with or give care to the person you care for while you go out, equipment to help you to lift or move the person you care for or information about local carers and other support organisations.

The best place to start looking for help is your local social services department. In Bristol, social services for adults is called Adult Health and Social Care; you can contact them on Care Direct, 0117 922 2700. For Children’s’ Services in Bristol, telephone 0117 922 2000. Adult Health and Social Care will usually assess the person you care for to see what help he/she might be eligible to receive. Carers who frequently provide help to the person they look after are also entitled to an assessment, called a Carers Assessment.

What sort of help can social services give?

Services for the person you can for could include:

  • Personal care, like help to get washed and dressed in the morning
  • sitting services to enable you to leave the house for a few hours
  • breaks for the person you care for (also called 'respite care')
  • practical help such as help with cleaning, laundry or gardening
  • aids and equipment
  • adaptations to your home
  • telecare alram systems
  • meals delivered on a daily basis

Services for carers could include:

  • practical help at home such as help with housework or gardening
  • help with taxi fares and other travel
  • counselling / alternative therapies to deal with emotional issues and stress
  • information about local support groups for carers
  • vouchers to enable carers to take a break from caring

4. Are you Missing out on any Money you are entitled to?
The benefits system is complicated; finding out what you and the person you care for are entitled to can be difficult. For information or advice call CarersLine on 0117 965 2200.

5. Contact your local Carers’ Support Centre
The Carers’ Support Centre is a local charitable organisation that can:

  • provide you with information, advice and advocacy on any aspect of caring and local support services that might be useful;
  • put you in touch with other organisations that offer specialist support;
  • provide a range of services such as support with Carers assessments and help to get breaks from caring and holidays.

For information, advice or just an understanding, listening ear call the Carers’ Support Centre confidentially: CarersLine 0117 9652200

6. Tell People at Work you are a Carer
Juggling work and looking after someone can be difficult. Telling your employer or manager that you are caring for someone may also be difficult but,

  • you have the legal right to request flexible working to help you balance caring and work responsibilities; your employer has to seriously consider this request.
  • you also have the right to time off in an emergency to care for someone.

It is at the employer’s discretion whether such leave is paid or unpaid.

7. Talk to Someone about how being a Carer affects you
Many carers find it useful to be able to ‘off load’ the stresses and strains that caring can bring. It is important to be aware of the impact caring can have on you and your own health. Talking about this whether to a professional person, family member or friend can be a help in itself or can be the first step to getting the support that you need.

The Carers Support Centre provides specialist counselling and telephone befriending services and carers’ groups that meet regularly to share practical ideas, support and friendship. To find out more about these options call CarersLine 0117 9652200.




  • Bristol City Council Health and Social Care; Care Direct 0117 922 2700. Website; information, advice, assessment and commissions and arranges care and support services
  • Carers Support Centre; CarersLine 0117 965 2200. Website; information, advice and services focused on supporting carers
  • Carers Support Centre Young Carers; 0117 958 9980. Website; information, advice, services and activities focused on supporting young carers
  • Well Aware; 0808 808 5252. Website; information on health, wellbeing and community resources
  • Bristol Black Carers: 0117 379 0084. Website; provides information, advice and services supporting carers from black and minority ethnic communities
  • Rethink Carers Service: 0117 903 1803. Website; provides support services for carers for people with mental health issues
  • Dhek Bhal: 0117 914 6671 / 914 6672 / 954 8885. Website; provides support to carers principally from Bristol's South Asian communities
  • Bristol and Avon Chinese Women's Group: 0117 935 1462. Website; provides support to carers from Bristol's Chinese communities
  • Carers Direct: 0300 123 1053. Website; provides a free national service offering information, advice and support for carers


Confidentiality and Consent: Your Rights

The principles of confidentiality apply equally to all patients, regardless of age. Young people are equally as entitled to confidentiality as all other patients. This means that 16 and 17 year-olds, as well as those under 16 who are ‘Gillick competent’ (see below), can been seen by a Doctor/Nurse, consent to treatment and expect that this and other medical information about them will be kept confidential, even from their parents, unless they consent to this information being shared. This applies equally to all treatments, including contraception and abortion.

A ‘Gillick competent’ child is one who is able to understand fully the options available to them and the consequences of each one. 16-17 year-olds are assumed to be competent to be seen alone and consent to treatment, unless it is demonstrated otherwise. A patient under 16 would have to be assessed as ‘Gillick competent’ by a clinician. The doctor/nurse will decide during a consultation whether they feel the patient to be competent or not.

Patients over the age of 18 are regarded as adults, and no-one else has the right to make medical decisions for them or access medical information about them.
For more information on your rights, visit the Citizens' Advice Bureau.

Health and Wellbeing
There are many issues that you may wish to know more about as a young person. If you wish to discuss any of the following, you can do so by booking an appointment with our Healthcare Assistant:

  • Exercise
  • Smoking
  • Contraception / Sexual Health
  • Bullying
  • Diets and eating
  • Drugs / Alcohol
  • Friendships / Relationships
  • Stress

For further information on the sexual health services we can offer, see the link to the 4YP website below or the 4YP tab in our 'Clinics & Services' section.
For further information on young people's health issues, visit the following links:
NHS Choices - Teen Girls' Health (15-18)
NHS Choices - Teen Boys' Health (15-18)
NHS Choices - Women's Health (18+)
NHS Choices - Men's Health (18+)

Useful links
Here are some useful links to further information and services.
Sexual Health
4YP Bristol (For Young People)
Bristol Sexual Health Services (NHS)
Off the Record - counselling and support for young people
Drugs & Alcohol
Bristol Drugs Project - help and support for those who use drugs or are affected by someone else's drug use.
Young Carers
Young Carers (run by the Carers' Support Centre) - support for young people who are caring for someone.
General Support
Childline - Support and advice for young people aged 19 and under

Let us know what you think!
If you have a comment or suggestion or any kind of feedback, we would like to hear about it. You can let us know your thoughts by using our comments & suggestions box - this can be found in the waiting area, on the wall of the right of our reception desk.

We also run a Patient Email Group to which we send practice updates a few times a year. Every email we send includes a comments form which can be completed and emailed straight back to us. If you would like to join the email group, please hand your email address in to reception or let us know using this form.

If you'd like to be even more involved, we also run a Patient Participation Group (PPG), which holds a meeting between patients and staff 3 times a year to discuss practice-related issues. You can find more information on the Patient Participation Group page. If you'd like to join just send us your name and email address using this form and we'll be in touch. Patients of all ages are welcome, so we'd love to see you there!

General sexual health services
Bristol Sexual Health Services
Sexual health services for young people

Support following sexual assault


Is your child unwell?  Do you want to know more about what to do if your child becomes unwell?

We recommend the new free HANDi Smartphone App from Bristol Royal Hospital for Children, available from Apple and Android app stores.

You will find advice and helpful information on common childhood problems like:

  • Diarrhoea and vomiting
  • High temperature
  • Chestiness
  • Tummy pain
  • Newborn problems

These websites can provide advice and guidance in treating and managing many minor ailments:

The Minor Ailments Scheme, which provided support and access to free prescriptions from Bristol pharmacies for certain minor ailments, is no longer available due to loss of funding. Bristol CCG has created this webpage for advice on treating the conditions which were previously covered by this scheme: